Friday, August 10, 2007

Flix

I canceled my satellite TV earlier this year and went to Netflix. I don't know if I watch less TV, but the TV I'm watching sure seems higher quality. I also save $35/month, so yeah for me! Some really good stuff I've been watching (ironically mostly from TV):

The Lost Room (Sci Fi Series). A bizarre mystery with alternate dimensions accessible through a motel room. There's something compelling about it and the characters are well developed with believable motivations.

Rome (HBO Series). Compelling drama that puts you in the ancient world. It's HBO so of course we get some gratuitous pagan sex and massive violence. The soap opera like politics is addictive. Netflix says I have a "very long wait" for disc one of season two that came out this week.

Deadwood (HBO Series). It's just so profane in a poetic kinda way. For me it's pure spectacle so far. I just don't know what to make of the drama among these anti-heroes.

Cowboy Beebop. I'm on the fourth volume of this collection and it remains entertaining in a Firefly kind of way. We have bounty hunters always about to run out of gas and always hungry traveling the galaxy in search of unusual fugitives, who almost always get away. I'm not a big anime fan, but this and Samurai Shamploo are my favorites so far.

On deck is Frontline: The Dark Side, about Dick Cheney.

Also highly recommended:

Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy (will change your politics)
Oldboy (Korean thriller action movie with a very big twist, yikes!)
Secretary (Maggie Gyllenhall S&M with heart)
Stranger Than Fiction (Will Ferrell realizes he's the main character in an authors book and it won't end well)

2 comments:

  1. The Lost Room: It's sorta like Unknown Armies the RPG but as a TV Show.
    If only they had made more of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth Gary, I went to look up Secretary on IMDB, and found that a keyword you can search their database on is "Female Nudity". Might help you find some more stuff to order from Netflix.

    When I clicked on it, the top rated movie (9.9 out of 10)?

    Bennie Hill Down Under, 1977

    best -

    chris
    (bringing the quality here waaaay down...)

    ReplyDelete